Does this face look like it belongs in the ER????
Email written at 8:00pm on September 25, 2012:
I think everybody is aware of what happened today, but just in case I wanted to give the quick rundown. At about 1:45 this afternoon I was changing Soren's diaper (which he never appreciates), he was fussing and trying to get away and I noticed he had a diaper rash that was bleeding a bit so I went to get the desitin. I put some desitin on and Soren started crying (it probably stung) when suddenly he stopped breathing and started to turn blue. I started to shake him and yell at him but there was no response so I picked him up started slapping his back as hard as I could and called 911. He began crying a little bit while I was on the phone, but he still seemed very lethargic and glassy eyed so they were sending the paramedics over. He was blue for probably 20-30 seconds. The paramedics came and Soren was very calm (which you all know, he never is still), his vitals and everything were good. But the recommended that I take him to the ER to get him more thoroughly checked.
So here we are, sitting in the hospital. He had a chest x-ray, and EKG and blood work. All of those things came back normal, so the ER doctor called Soren's pediatrician and he wanted him to get admitted and monitored through the night. So we are here in his hospital room for the night. It has been an emotional day watching my poor baby get poked and bothered by all of these tests. But I am willing to pay and do whatever I need to in order to ensure that this doesn't ever happen again. Tonight they are monitoring the oxygen level in his blood and making sure there is no seizure like activity while he sleeps.
Today I have learned that you never really know how much you love somebody and how much your life revolves around them until you face that fear of losing them. I really thought I was losing my little boy in that short moment. I am so grateful that I didn't, I love him so much, he is such a wonderful blessing in my life.
Love you all. Thanks for your prayers and well wishes.
Update September 26, 2012:
The night of monitoring went smoothly. His blood oxygen levels were steady at about 97% through the night and his heart rate was steady around 100. He was our happy sweet boy when he woke up and we just roamed the hospital waiting for the doctor to come check on him and let us go home. I gave Soren some jello from the hospital kitchen, because really, he deserved it for being such a champ through all of the poking and bugging he went through. And let's be honest, you can't stay in the hospital overnight and not have at least once serving of jello.

1 comment:
Oh my goodness, that would be so scary. I'm glad Soren is okay!
Post a Comment